West End Games made some departures in style for the DarkStryder RPG campaign.
- The players are encouraged to use the characters included with the set; indeed each player will have a stable of characters to run, depending on the needs of the story.
- The atmosphere is darker than the usual Star Wars setting. A short story by Timothy Zahn starts off the campaign, and helps set that tone.
- The PC’s ship, the FarStar, is a CR90 corvette with a colorful past, and a busy future. It’s a run-down ship; malfunctions, repair, and constant maintenance will figure into the story. The crew is a dour, cranky lot.
- All this is in service of running down imperial warlord Moff Sarne, the ultimate goal of the campaign.
The DarkStryder Campaign [BOX SET]
1995 … WEG 40209 … ISBN 087431254X
By Peter Schweighofer & Doug Shuler & Bill Smith & Eric Trautmann & Timothy Zahn. Additional Material by Paul Sudlow.
- 96-page Campaign Book
- 96-page Adventure Book
- Character (48) & ship (8) cards
- a full color-map of the modified Corellian Corvette FarStar.
My full D6 Star Wars RPG page at my reference site. There were a LOT of adventures and accessories.
Character and Ship Card Sheets (and stands)
Poster Map: Corellian Corvette FarStar (printed on both sides)
A trilogy of adventure modules followed the core set: Kathol Outback, Kathol Rift, Endgame.
BONUS: Spanish-language edition of Darkstryder
La Campaña del Guardian Oscuro (JOC Internacional, 1997? ISBN 8478311637) is from my personal collection, not for sale. Hardcover book, not a box. Production quality is excellent, with all the extras (en español, claro). Map is smaller than the original though.
Peter Schweighofer (WEG alumnus) rates Darkstryder as #10 in his top 10 Star Wars RPG list
I’ve slimmed down my WEG Star Wars collection over the years but the Drakstryder set and accompanying books will always remain.
I’ve always wanted to run it but unfortunately the years have turned to decades and I may never get the chance.
Dont forget that there were also a few (3?) blister packs of miniatures that represented the Darkstryder crew that rounded out the collection.
Miniatures? Interesting. Didn’t know that.
This brings back a lot of memories!